History of Fayette County, Pennsylvania, with Biographical Sketches of its Pioneers and Prominent Men, edited by Franklin Ellis (Philadelphia: L. H. Everts & Co., 1882) p. 280.
Uniontown – originally Beesontown
Incorporated as a borough April 4, 1796 (v.15, Statutes at Large, p. 469, chap.
1910). It was reincorporated as a borough, enlarging its corporate powers on March
2, 1805 (v.17, Statutes at Large, p. 912, chap. 2550). On December 19, 1913 it was
incorporated as a city.
Founded by Zachariah Connell, it was laid out and chartered by him on March 21,
1793. It was incorporated as a borough on March 1, 1806 (v. 18, Statutes at Large, p.
104, chap. 2659). On May 12, 1911 it was incorporated as a city.
Original townships incorporated December, 1783
- Menallen created in Westmoreland in 1773
- Springhill originally created in Cumberland County, became part of Bedford and then Westmoreland County
- Tyrone originally created in Bedford County, became part of Westmoreland County (carved in to Upper and Lower Tyrone in 1877)
- Union (carved into North and South Union Townships in 1851)
- Wharton created in 1783 in Westmoreland County, originally
- 1784 – Bullskin from Tyrone Twp. and Donegal Twp. in Westmoreland County
- 1797 – Redstone from Menallen Twp.
- 1797 – Salt Lick from Bullskin Twp. (was sometimes known as Young Township)
- 1798 – Dunbar from Franklin Twp.
- 1815 – Bridgeport from Luzerne Twp.
- 1817 – Brownsville from Redstone Twp.
- 1822 – Connellsville from Bullskin Twp.
- 1824 – Henry Clay from Wharton Twp.
- 1839 – Perry from Franklin, Tyrone & Washington Twps.
- 1840 – Jefferson from Washington Twp.
- 1845 – Nicholson from Springhill, German and Georges Twps.
- 1849 – Springfield from Salt Lick Twp.
- 1849 – Youghiogheny from Saltlick Twp. (Eliminated 17 November 1855)
- 1851 – North and South Union from Union Twp.
- 1855 – Stewart from Yioughiogheny, Wharton & Henry Clay Twps.
- 1877 – Lower and Upper Tyrone from Tyrone Twp.